Language Studying Tips For The Lazy Student [Russian and Korean]

Hey Everyone, So, it has been a while now since I started properly immersing myself into my language studies and so, since I am very much...

Hey Everyone,

So, it has been a while now since I started properly immersing myself into my language studies and so, since I am very much a lazy student, I thought I would share a few tips on how I study a language and generally - where to start if you want to study also. I am by no means far into this journey but I never really knew where to start before hand and so, let's check out some of my tips on studying a language when you are a lazy student like me.




"이뤄지지 않는 꿈속에서 피울 수 없는 꽃을 키웠어."

Start off slow. Even if you are going to live in your target languages country, starting out slow when learning a new language [especially, if you have never learnt one before] is so important and something I can't stress over enough. If you start off to hardcore and try to cram everything into your brain at one given time, not only as a lazy student will you not last in the long run, you'll eventually stress yourself to your wits end and get burnt out by trying to remember new structures and vocab/ grammar etc. so fast. Take it slow, set yourself a realistic goal each day of what you know your daily schedule could work with and just think that, even if it seems to be going so slow right now, eventually, if you keep up everything, in the future that pace will pick up and before you know it - you'll be where you want to be. But first, take it slow. Get a feel of how the language works and go from there. Don't burn yourself out before you have even begun.

Where to start? For me, what put me off learning a language for years was not only because I was lazy at studying but also because I never really knew where to start. Should I remember phrases? Random Vocab? etc. I could never really understand where to start in the journey I had yet to begin. However, I found the best place to start is by learning the alphabet of the language. Whether there be ten characters or one hundred, learning the alphabet of that language is the best place to begin before you even think of studying vocab and so on. Because once you have learnt the alphabet, you will be able to - even slowly at first - read that language and it is the most amazing thing. Even though you won't be able to understand any of the words, by knowing the letters you will be able to piece words together and learn what they mean that way too. So, if you see a word in that language and wonder what it means, you can translate it later on and have a new word already learnt. I have found by studying the alphabet first, everything else in the language comes much easier [of course, it is still hard] but once you have done that and feel comfortable with the alphabet, everything else really will be much easier to grasp.

Studying when you are lazy. This is something you really have to force yourself to do. Just like when I am writing books, I forced myself to language learn to, even when I was tired or didn't feel like it. Building a routine in any studying venture is very important and even if it is a short ten minute session at lunch or a five hour storm, building a routine when studying is the one thing that will keep you picking up that text book each day. There is no simple solution to getting yourself to study, you just have to get up and do it. Just motivate yourself by thinking why you want to be fluent in the first place and how amazing it will be to speak that language when you go to that country and speak with natives. The feeling is amazing. And as hard as it is to motivate yourself when you are lazy, force yourself to set a time out of your day to remember something new in that language, even if it is only one word, that will push you forward regardless. Eventually, you will build up a time out for studying in your day and it will no longer feel like an obligation! Just stick to that routine and you'll see in no time.


Have you ever studied a language before?


You Might Also Like

0 comments